This post is for all of my friends that are involved with Classical Conversations. For the rest of you……..sorry, you are out of luck…….just kidding…….I will post something else, just for you……….
My oldest son will be pursuing Memory Master Testing through our Classical Conversations group. Memory Masters memorize twenty-four weeks of material in seven different academic subjects. In an effort to provide him the tools he needs to succeed, I have created a Memorization Basket. Our basket is specific to our Classical Conversations Memory Work, but it could be adapted to help children memorize anything. It keeps everything together so that we can work on our memory work anywhere, everywhere, and all the time!
What is in our Memory Work Basket?
- a small dry-erase board
- Classical Conversations Flashcards
- an MP3 player (with the CC audio loaded on it) and a speaker or headphones
- copies of the content to memorize (I will talk more about this below.)
- a Memory Master study binder (assembly instructions below)
- three-ring binder
- Have you checked thrift stores for 3-ring binders? I never pay more than 99 cents for high-quality binders.
- insertable page dividers for three ring binders…..I used three of them.
- I prefer the plastic ones with pockets, so we can place relevant info in the pockets.
- page protectors, about 20
- standard or heavyweight
- standard 3-ring binder pouch
- a zippered pouch with three holes for placement in a binder
- ruler (for drawing maps)
- I bought one with three holes so I could put in the binder rings.
- pencils, sharpened
- dry erase markers with the eraser on top, different colors
- blank paper
- three-ring binder
- Optional: an I-Pad with the Foundations app loaded on it. (I don’t have an I-Pad, but a girl can dream……. This will be in my basket someday…….)
Assembly Instructions for the Memory Master Binder
- Label the first divider : Maps
- Label the second divider: MM (for Memory Master)
- Label the third divider: Other
- Place the dividers in the three-ring binder.
- Binder pouch: Fill the binder pouch with the pencils and dry-erase markers. Place it in front of the binder.
- Ruler: Place the ruler in the three-ring binder rings.
- Page Protectors: Place 5-10 page protectors behind each divider.
- Paper: Place blank paper at the back of the notebook.
- Add content: Fill the page protectors. See below.
What do I put in the page protectors?
Well, for copyright reasons, I can’t show you the exact documents. But, I will explain them. If you have them, you will know understand.
Behind the Geography Divider
- States and Capital Map- blank
- States and Capitals Map-key
- Physical Features Map-blank
- Physical Features Map-key
- States and Capitals Map w/grid (for drawing)
- blank grid (for drawing)
- State Abbreviation List
- List of all Geography locations – weeks 1-24
Behind the Memory Master Divider
- History Sentences- weeks 1-24
- Timeline List
- Latin- weeks 1-24
- Math-weeks 1-24
- Science-weeks 1-24
- English Grammar-weeks 1-24
- Memory Master Proofing Sheets
- Skip Counting Number Grid
- Anything else
Looking for ways to memorize that information? Check out my post Memorization Made Fun and Easy
Happy organizing, friend!